Thursday, September 16, 2010

Old city archaeological tour

Today we went on a tour of the old city archaeology style, it was hotter than hades. When I say that I was hot it was because I apparently didn't pack nearly enough short sleeve shirts, you know because most of my clothes are from living in Canada (hint: it's considered a particularly a nation with a warm climate) I might need to improvise some of my long sleeve shirts and cut the sleeves off, haha just kidding. But the tour, I thought was a very interesting tour of Jerusalem because of the deeper history in the artifacts and buildings that under the Israelis' feet daily. We started with a lecture from a rabbi about Yom Kippur and the story of Jonah, after we went to a look out that had an amazing view of the old city, not like any I've ever seen. We had lunch and then continued our tour with a special archaeological historian who showed us around the davidson center and through different ruins that are in the old city, after davening mincha at the Mount of Olives hearing more about it's history. We continued on the bus to the town Shilo to see the site of the mishkan which was quite amazing to see at sunset, after davening maariv we went to dinner and came back to Beit Yehuda to a free evening. I probably won't be posting until Saturday night about my trip because of the rules of shabbat, so after shabbat I will enlighten on my first Yom Kippur experience in Israel.

2 comments:

  1. wow how wonderful to have enjoyed such an amazing tour, especially in Shilo... were you taken to the underground water cistern? This blog put quite a smile on my face, very jealous of your day today. May your fast be an easy one.

    Love Faj

    ReplyDelete