Saturday, February 5, 2011

1/30/2011-2/5/2011

Sunday, was a boring day spent housesitting, what is usually a touring day most people were sick our visiting our friend at the hospital, I so I was stuck in the house all day waiting for them to come home so I could open the door. But thankfully it was raining a lot outside so I had no particularly good reason to venture out of the house anyways even in my boredom. Monday, was my first day of work for about a week, it was nice to do something useful after being sick all week. Nothing special except that we had the monthly birthdays for the students with January birthdays so my friend and I spent most of the time dancing and singing with the students, it was fun as well tiring but always rewarding. Tuesday, another day of work, we had an average day just helping with assignments and taking the students to their different classes, we had a visiting school of 10-11 year olds from a school in Lod. This school group came to do activities like sports, arts and dance with the students at the special needs school. In the evening we had our volunteering at the youth center with the Bnei Akiva kids who originate from Ethiopia, we played games as usual, we do the same volunteering thing on Thursday too. Wednesday, I had a museum day in Tel Aviv with all the Magen David Adom people in the group, we went to two museums, the Independance Hall were Israel became officially a country and the Hagana museum, where we learnt about the history of the Hagana, which was one of the important building blocks of what the army is today as well as its importance in making Israel the country that it is today, that night we had a art class in which I made a wooden tissue box holder, appropriate given my sickness during the past couple of weeks. Thursday, was a pretty average day volunteering at the school except that me and my volunteering partner got moved to volunteer in the art room, cool for me because the teacher gave us an assignment to draw a painting it was nice to do some drawing and also working in the art room was fun. Also on Thursday I made a cool discovery, the convenience of doctor house calls, something that is pretty old fashioned in America, but is apparently still around in Israel. Friday was the beginning of a group Shabbat that we had in Jerusalem, it was really nice to see the group and also amazing to be in Jerusalem, we had shul on Friday night, dinner and some time to play board games in the evening. Saturday, we had Saturday morning services and a short kiddush and shiur with the boys' rabbi from their yeshiva time, after we had a shabbat lunch and then more rest time when me and a couple people played some Monopoly, it was annoying because it was nonstop arguing about the game rules, British vs. American rules of Monopoly. After the rest we went to the other madricha's to have Seuda Shlishit and Havdalla, after saying goodbyes and leaving our respective Shabbat locations, a few of us went back home to Lod.

No comments:

Post a Comment